In Medium Medium, Linehan takes the audience on a guided tour in which he creates a performative dialogue between selected artworks on view and his own artistic work. The artworks speak to him, and he speaks back to them through the medium of dance. He also brings along his 2013 book, A No Can Make Space, and recites poetic fragments from the book, so the “speaking” becomes quite literal.
A guided tour normally should be informative, but Linehan is not in the business of informing. Linehan engages with the artworks in a playful and mischievous way, dancing and talking in order to enter into diverse kinds of relationships between his moving body and the object, creating links, parallels, slippages, and tangents between his dances and the artworks.
A medium is somebody who can communicate between the living and the non-living. Linehan claims to establish a communication between different mediums (sculpture, painting, book, speech, dance), which are in various states of being alive or not alive. In his view, any object can be brought to life and begin to dance.
Concept & performance Daniel Linehan
Production Hiatus (Brussels, BE)
International representation Damien Valette (Paris, FR)
Hiatus is supported by the Flemish authorities. Daniel Linehan is Creative Associate at deSingel International Arts Campus 2017-2021.
- Medium Medium – CANCELLED 22 March 2020Arter – space for art, Arter – space for art - Istanbul, Turkey
- Medium Medium – CANCELLED 21 March 2020Arter – space for art, Arter – space for art - Istanbul, Turkey
- Medium Medium 12 September 2019Spider Festival, Spider Festival - Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Medium Medium 21 October 2018, 14:00Parades for FIAC, Petit Palais - Paris, France
- Medium Medium 7 October 2018, 15:00KANAL – Centre Pompidou, KANAL – Centre Pompidou - Brussels, Belgium
- Medium Medium 6 October 2018, 15:00KANAL – Centre Pompidou, KANAL – Centre Pompidou - Brussels, Belgium
- Medium Medium 11 February 2016, 13:00Musée national Picasso – Paris - Paris, France