For sspeciess Daniel Linehan draws inspiration from the writings of Timothy Morton, a British philosopher/ecologist. The choreography is guided by ideas of coexistence and symbiosis. Five dancers – Gorka Gurrutxaga Arruti, Anneleen Keppens, Victor Pérez Armero, Louise Tanoto and Linehan himself – share the stage, lending their bodies and breath to the choreography, accompanied by the musical creation of Michael Schmid and Raphaël Hénard. Movement echoes sound. Dance and music approach one another in a mutually sustaining association, thinking of the music as an environment that supports seeing the dance, and the dance as an environment that supports hearing the music. One by one, the light, the scenography, the costumes, the movement and the music become the dominant players in the room, and then fade to give space to the others. No element of an environment remains dominant for long – there is a constant sense of emergence and disappearance.
There are always moments of surprise when the hidden life that you didn’t notice suddenly flies, swims or grows into your consciousness. In sspeciess, Linehan creates a dance that leaves space for this sense of play, where what is unnoticed and ignored in our surrounding environment can suddenly emerge as the thing that we should have been paying attention to all along.
Concept & choreography Daniel Linehan
Creation & performance Gorka Gurrutxaga Arruti, Anneleen Keppens, Daniel Linehan, Victor Pérez Armero, Louise Tanoto
Dramaturgy Alain Franco
Artistic assistant Michael Helland
Costumes Frédéric Denis
Light Gregory Rivoux
Sound Michael Schmid & Raphaël Hénard
Textile print Collectif MECC
Production Hiatus (Brussels, BE)
Coproduction deSingel International Arts Campus (Antwerp, BE), Centre chorégraphique national d’Orléans (FR) and Perpodium (Antwerp, BE)
Residencies deSingel International Arts Campus (Antwerp, BE), STUK (Leuven, BE), Centre chorégraphique national d’Orléans (FR), Cultuurhuis de Warande (Turnhout, BE), Kaaitheater (Brussels, BE), CC de Factorij (Zaventem, BE).
International tour planning Damien Valette (Paris, FR)
Daniel Linehan, Hiatus is Creative Associate at deSingel International Arts Campus (Antwerp, BE) and supported by the Flemish authorities 2017-2021 and Tax Shelter of the Belgian federal government. In partnership with BOS+, Hiatus contributes to the reforestation of our planet.
- Critique sspeciess - Danser Canal Historique (2020)
- sspeciess, de Daniel Linehan
- sspeciess, Daniel Linehan
- sspeciess – cancelled 4 March 2021STUK, STUK - Leuven, Belgium
- sspeciess – CANCELLED 13 June 2020, 20:30Kaaitheater, Kaaitheater - Brussels, Belgium
- sspeciess – CANCELLED 12 June 2020, 20:30Kaaitheater, Kaaitheater - Brussels, Belgium
- sspeciess – CANCELLED 13 March 2020, 20:00La Filature, La Filature - Mulhouse, France
- sspeciess – CANCELLED 12 March 2020, 19:00La Filature, La Filature - Mulhouse, France
- sspeciess 7 February 2020Festival Faits d’hiver, Théâtre de la Cité Internationale - Paris, France
- sspeciess 6 February 2020Festival Faits d’hiver, Théâtre de la Cité Internationale - Paris, France
- sspeciess 4 February 2020, 20:00Festival Pays de Danses, Théâtre de Liège - Liège, Belgium
- sspeciess 25 January 2020, 20:00DE SINGEL, DE SINGEL - Antwerpen, Belgium
- sspeciess 24 January 2020, 20:00DE SINGEL, DE SINGEL - Antwerpen, Belgium